7/8/08

Running is Great

Running is my passion, and gradually I am getting back to the runner I used to be. Unfortunately when you get a little success, then have a long break from a sport, you are always looking back on how things used to be. If you continue doing this you will not progress, and enjoy your sport.

My background:

I did a lot of running when I was a student at Oxford University. I got so into it that my enduring memories of that time are not of studying (which I must have done enough of because I completed my degree), but of running. In my second and third years especially I ran upto 6 times a week, and sometimes twice a day. I think I only got injured twice-- once quite seriously so I couldn't walk very well! In my second year I ran the London Marathon for the first time in 3 hours 13. In my final year at Oxford I ran London again in 3 hours 5 minutes, and was disappointed not to go under 3 hours.

In this time I also finished the London to Brighton race (55 miles) in 8 hours 50 minutes after missing the start by 15 minutes. And set a pb for the half marathon of 80 minutes.

But that was thirteen years ago, so I cannot measure myself against these past achievements. I have to run now, and build on what I have now. I am making significant progress, and will update you soon.

No comments: