2/19/09

Liversedge Half Marathon

The Liversedge half marathon is a tough run with lots of hills. I don't remember the course that well except for the parts when we were running uphill or downhill, but perhaps that's my mind playing tricks with me, perhaps there were some flat bits as well.

It shows how hard the run was by the fact that the winner finished in 1 hour 17 minutes 57 seconds. Also, Olympian Tracey Morris was fifth overall in 1 hour 19 minutes 51 seconds. I don't know what her personal best is, but I'm pretty sure she has run close to 2 hours 30 for a marathon.

So, that puts my time of 1 hour 32 minutes 57 seconds into perspective - just 15 minutes behind the winner. On a kinder course I would surely have gone well under 90 minutes.

I didn't take a lot of water on board as I found the one drink I did take made my stomach feel unsettled (this probably had something to do with the curry and half a bottle of wine I'd had the night before).

It was a well-organised friendly race, and I would recommend it - forget what I said earlier about it being a really tough race! The only problem I found was the fact that the roads were open to traffic, and lots of the drivers weren't very patient. So, it was a concern at times. This would have been helped if there had been more marshalls, but it is hard to get more volunteers on a half marathon I suppose.

On a side note I was annoyed by a woman runner who passed me at 3 miles, then cut in front of me blocking me in - I dashed onto the pavement to get past, then made sure if she came past again she couldn't block me in (stick elbows out and run nearer to the middle of the road!) She did come past again (another annoying habit she had was blocking her nose with her finger then shooting snot out of the other one!), but at the 3 mile point she stopped and jogged back.

Anyway, from what I remember of the race it was fun, and I hope to run it again in the future. My photos is here:- Matt's Photo

No comments: