11/27/04

Thoughts v Action

It's ok having great and worthwhile thoughts about life, success, and the future. It's another thing entirely taking action on these thoughts.

You could say I'm all thought and no action. Or action that's too little, too late. And after all isn't that what this blog is all about -- thoughts?

We need to strike a balance between the two, of course. You can't spring into action if you're not completely convinced of what you're doing. If you haven't thought things through, if you don't have a good idea (or thought)in your mind, it won't work as well as it could.

But if all you do is construct castles in the air, thought mountains that you never get round to scaling, your plans won't work at all because you've taken no action!

So I should report on the action I've taken today: enrolled in the Open University to start to study maths. This is done with the aim of updating my education, and getting a more appropriate job in the future that will challenge my brain.

Getting a degree may take 6 or more years with the OU but at least I'm taking action in the right direction rather than simply thinking about it.

No comments: