4/24/11

London Marathon 2011

I had a decent run in the London marathon recently. I had a few injury issues that interrupted the build up to the race, and it was touch and go whether I should withdraw or not. However, the previous year I deferred my entry due to a car crash so this year I would not be able put it back a year. Luckily my injuries improved and I was able to maintain some fitness in the gym, then train sensibly before the race. I knew I was perhaps a month behind where I felt I could be fitness wise so I would not be running at my best.

Then of course we had the heat to deal with - plus all the hordes of people getting under your feet. Difficult to run an even pace when people are slowing in front of you, but I suppose this is the London marathon and there are 36,000 runners, and lots of them are charity runners so what can you expect.

Considering all this I was happy to run 3:29.

Hopefully later in the year I can run a marathon in cooler conditions, and run a lot faster.

****
Update
For anyone interested I ran the 2011 Frankfurt marathon and finished in 3:18:58. I didn't get to the start early enough and perhaps was a bit relaxed about my starting position. There were too many people in front of me to get to the starting position I really wanted - with the 3:15 pacer. So I ended up battling for much of the race to get past people. It was a good race but with a better start I felt I could have run 5 or so minutes quicker.

No comments: