8/9/08

Running

When I first got into running I wasn’t interested in running personal bests, or beating other people across the finish line. No, that disease crept up on me later. What really interested me was the sense of freedom I got from running; the fact that i could just head out the door, and go. All i needed was my running shoes, and a t-shirt, shorts, and running shoes, and i could escape from other people; escape into my own world.

I couldn’t really explain this to others because I said I could think things over when i was out running, but this wasn’t entirely true. I could vent an emotion out running that it would not really be appropriate to do in another way; not to my sense of decorum anyway. I remember one time that i was really frustrated and angry at one of my University professors, and so i put my anger into my running, and that made me go quicker, and i felt loads better afterwards.

Part of my anger came from the fact that I realised he was correct in his criticisms, but that is by the by. Yes, I wasn't doing the work I was supposed to be doing....but I was more interested in running. I was more interested in the great feeling I got from running, not in writing essays.

I have strayed off this path many times, but I have returned to the straight and narrow! I am as committed as I ever was to running, and look back at myself and wonder why did I ever listen to so many well meaning people, and get distracted from my running.

Life has its ups and downs, and about turns etc, so I'm back where I want to be (almost). I have lots more running to do, but that may have something to do with the running "disease" I mentioned earlier.

To run faster than I have before, and to run further.....

1 comment:

cmf773 said...

Glad you are blogging again Fuge