3/11/09

Clowne X Country Race


"It's over the same course as previous years, but just listen up..." mmm I thought, well this is the first time I've run it so that doesn't help.."just bear that in mind and you'll be alright."

I had missed something here. What was it? Oh, there was no way I could get lost because I wouldn't be leading the field out like I did at Retford. No, I didn't want to drop back through the field again like that. Yes, it's ok to have a fast start to stay out of trouble, but then you have to deal with the lactic acid. I'm not quite fit enough for that; not quite a Gebreselaissie.

The wind was blowing cold, and the dark clouds were circling. I hadn't come prepared for this - a Clowne running vest, a pair of shorts and my Walsh's, oh and a grey woolly hat. A t-shirt wouldn't have helped keep me warm, though, as it would just have got wet, and these Ron Hill technical vests do an excellent job of wicking the moisture away. Plus, if you're running fast enough you should keep warm anyway.

I couldn't feel my hands for the first 20 minutes of the run. Keep you hands clasped together,I said to myself, to stop your wedding ring falling off your finger. A pair of gloves would have helped.

Paul Sadler was just ahead of me, yes and Stuart Platts and Scott Ramsden weren't that far ahead. Then there were four Kestrel vests. Over one stile, through the mud, over another stile, my studs slipped on the wet wood and I nearly went over.

Keep up the pressure, just try to gain on them through the mud. One Kestrel runner is taking it easier through the mud then speeding up afterwards. If I can just gain on him in the mud maybe I can keep with him and beat him at the finish.

We're coming to the end, just another mud-strewn field then can't be much further. Accelerate, you can catch them. That's when my foot slipped from under me, my right shoulder hit the mud and I slid forward a couple of foot. Straight up, get running again. Mud everywhere, at least I missed all the stones, so no major damage.

Round some more corners, then I'm scrambling over a wall. Keep on running...

Andy Ward calls out encouragement "come on you can catch both of these", and I've nearly finished. I start sprinting past a Retford runner, and a Kestrel is just ahead, then round the corner, keep on pushing, nearly there - I sweep past Stuart Platts, and sprint for the finish. The Kestrel runner holds me off.

I'm 10th, a good improvement on the Retford run. Scott finishes 7th, so just a few places ahead. Paul Sadler is back in 19th.

Damage done: scratches on right shin, cuts on right hip, small bruise on right knee, vest covered in mud.

1 comment:

cmf773 said...

Nice one Fuge. Congrats on a good race.