3/4/09

Retford X Country Race

The sun was shining, and all was right with the world. Except I had a mini-panic that I wouldn't be able to find the start of the race. Yes, I had a satnav, but no it wasn't a great deal of help. Yes, I had the "postcode", but when I put this into the TomTom it didn't recognise it and made suggestions for somewhere in Northern Ireland. No, I wasn't leaving England, I just wanted to find somewhere in Retford.

Thanks for the wonders of a mobile phone (& Dave Johnson) I found the race start - helped by seeing some runners walking down a street, if it hadn't been for that I may have driven round a bit more in a daze.

Half an hour to go to the start of the Retford interclub X-Country race - time enough to do a warm up. So I ran round in circles for a bit - yes I felt good, did some strides and some sprint drills. They have a couple of football pitches, and alongside there is an old track (it might be cinder, it is certainly not one of these tartan ones, and if pressed I would say it was dirt, but it's marked into lanes and good for running on in that it's flat and level.)

Now, the start. When we eventually got to the start we were told we had to run to the corner of the field and round a cone. Anyone going the wrong side would be disqualified. Then there was some more bunting in another corner (anyone going the wrong side would fall down a hole), then we would go through a gap in the hedge and well...not sure where after this, but it would be self-evident surely?

I need a good start, I thought. Don't want to be tripping up over people going round that cone. So, "Go!" Got a good start and to my surprise I was first to the cone - what's happening here then, how come I'm in the lead, relax don't panic - to the other side of the first field and Steve Battle passes me, then I draw level - out through the gap in the hedge and there's three of us - which way is it then? No one seems to know - I spy John Proffit to the left, and presume it's that way.

After this more people passed me especially as the ground got uneven, we crossed stiles and went uphill. The rest of the race is a blur. I remember Scott Ramsden passing me and saying come on Matt keep it up, then Stuart Platts & they didn't get that far ahead. Even near the end I was thinking I could bridge the gap, but when we darted through the gap in the hedge again the race was virtually over and it was too late.

And I was working on closing the gap to the Killamarsh yellow vests right to the end, but the gap in the hedge beat me and the funnel came too quick for me to catch them. I did see Paul Sadler just behind me, but concentrated on trying to catch people in front rather than thinking about who was behind!

All in all good fun - but maybe I won't start so fast next time.

No comments: