9/24/06

Google Whack!

I've been reading Dave Gorman's Googlewhack comedy adventure book...all about well, Dave Gorman, getting a publishing contract to write a novel, and ending up spending his time on the internet instead of getting down to what he should be doing, which is.. writing his novel. I think we've all been there-- doing something else when we should be doing something more important instead.

Anyway, I've not read it all-- read a bit on the plane to Prague, but haven't read much of it since. Helen read it while we were in Prague; much to my consternation-- how dare she read a book I'm reading! But then if she waited for me to finish she might be waiting a long time.

What I was going to say was that it is a long time since I was in Washington, but I didn't really like what I saw when I was there. Perhaps Washington's not that bad, but I much preferred New York as big cities go.

Anyway, what is a Googlewhack!? If you do a search on Google on only get one search result that is a Googlewhack. Afficionados may be able to elucidate further on this. Well, the point of Dave's adventure is that he travels around the globe meeting the people he's Googlewhacked. Apparently, anyway, as I've only got as far as Washington myself.

Well, I was going to quote some of the things he says about Washington as it seemed to capture my previous feelings:-

"Washington didn't evolve, it was created. It's an entirely planned city, built to serve the purpose of government and as a result it felt anodyne, devoid of personality, especially at that time of year when Congress wasn't sitting. Without the politicians and their staff and hangers-on the city not only lacks a large part of its population but also its very reason for being. I felt like I was visiting Walt Disney's Democracy World. Out of season."

No comments: